The estate is located in Mincio park, around an 18th century mill. A San Girolamo monastry with a cloister and a church with nave wase situated here until 18th century.
The estate borders on Mantova’s lake superiore and is positioned at the beginning of a cycle path which winds for 40 km along the embankments of the river Mincio to Peschira on Garda lake. Foxes, hedgehogs, herons, more-hens, coots and nightingales roam the estate undisturbed.
Meeting rooms to accomodate 100 people.
Accommodations and Services in Agriturismo Corte San Girolamo
The accommodation is comprised of a mini-apartment, sleeping 4 and 13 double rooms, five of which are without any architectural obstructions and so are suitable for the disabled. Having been recently refurbished, they all have en-suite bathroom and totally are able to accommodate 30 people. Bicycles are at guests' disposal for excursions and trips around the area. Nearby, there are stables and riding grounds, swimming pools and facilities for sports fishing.
Internal Services: Air conditioning, TV in room, Heating, Daily cleaning
Ceremonies: Meeting rooms
External services: Rental Bikes, Car park
Where we are
S.GIROLAMO fuori di PORTA MOLINA (S.GIROLAMO outside PORTA MOLINA)
Under the protection of Guido Gonzaga, Canon of the Cathedral and Commendatory Abbot of San Benedetto, a small group of S. Girolamo hermit monks founded a monastery in 1420, where the Parcarello stream curves and borders with Mantua’s Lago Superiore. Over the years, the S.Girolamo monks were offered such gifts as a small monastery, a church, land and buildings. The modest religious community enjoyed the Gonzaga protection, who constantly handed out concessions and privileges until the end of their duchy. The monks led mainly a life of prayers and studies in their hermitage.
Very little had changed in S. Girolamo’s monastery during almost three centuries until the arrival of the Austrians but with the ecclesiastical changes in the ‘700s, the monastery was suppressed in 1772. The complex was subsequently sold and the church and the convent were partly pulled down. The new owner, the Marquis Annibale Cavriani, a member of the richest community of Mantua, radically transformed the area by building a mill for rice piling whose structure is still visible today..
In 1806 S. Girolamo was ceded to Giacomo Malacarne, who was subsequently forced to sell all his properties to the Bonoris family. This family, mainly through the last descendant, the Count Gaetano Bonoris, turned this area into a major agricultural exercise. Upon the Count’s demise in 1923, a charitable corporation called the “Bonoris Foundation” took over the property.
In 1970 S. Girolamo, together with the annexure of 155 Mantuan “bibulcus” pieces of ground, were purchased by the present owners. And now, even though devoid of any monastic traces of eras gone by, the place, which is part of the Mincio Park, still fills you with unexpected emotions, with special perceptions which exude from a land which is as honest as its long history.